Tuesday, January 30, 2007
5. . . . and overlaid with various fabric strips.
6. . . which were stitched down with horizontal rows of machine stitching.7. I painted a piece of calico. This was laid on the background, and using the vilene pattern I stitched the design outline from the back of the work.
8. Last stage was to cut back the top fabric to reveal the shapes and do some more stitching to 'paint' the trunks a bit more, adding a backing piece of black cotton.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
You've got to have a picture in a blog entry, haven't you, so here's one from our epic journey south for Christmas which featured in an earlier entry - a shop with an intriguing name in Bradford-on Avon, taken as we drove by, hence a bit fuzzy.
Saturday, January 20, 2007
I still want to try some of the variations of chain stitch done as detached stitches e.g. twisted chain etc.
And if anyone please could give me advice on how best to work a 'jumble' of stitches? I found it more baffling than I expected, and I'm usually not bad at random!
Sunday, January 14, 2007
I particularly like the twisty lines top right, the filled areas, the laced back to back rows, the buttonhole bars and the eyelets below the bars (yes, they do have a hole in the middle, hard to see). I've also decided to try and use each stitch in a complex seam, as an interesting exercise , but I think this one could be nicer really.
Using buttonhole to fill a space is interesting. If you work from the bottom (here, right), of the space, each following row will come over the ridge of the stitch and give a smooth effect.Doing it the other way round, from the top of the space down, you keep the ridges. These were circular pieces because they were in a small round frame. Obviously need finishing. One day! And this one, just 2 lines of buttonhole, but I like the effect of the space between them.
Friday, January 05, 2007
I've chosen to use a long strip from a curtain fabric remnant as my main 'sampler', hoping to end up with a long scroll of stitch experiments. Usefully for this particular stitch the fabric is woven with countable threads and heavier lines in the weave across the strip which form stripes of varying but regular sizes. So for once in my stitching life I can get straight lines and even-sized stitches!
I've worked the stitch in, mostly, regular fashion, laced it, repeated it to make overall patterns (which remind me of chicken wire!), tried it close together, stretched out, doubled/trebled /quadrupled. And I've worked a line as if it were a seam treatment in crazy patchwork.
It all looks very sedate for me, but I have broken out with some very irregular stuff on a separate piece, below. The idea is to create texture, varying threads, length and angle of stitch, but keeping to the essential movement of the stitch where the needle is being pushed in backwards but the thread is taken forward to advance the line of stitching against the direction of the needle (if you see what I mean?)
I also remembered seeing herringbone used to sew on mirrors. This is a large holographic sequin. If pushing the needle under the grid of threads that hold the mirror in place counts as the top part of the stitch, then I guess it would count .
I've seen a lengthened form of herringbone used in Indian work, in a copy of Stitch (with the Embroiderers' Guild) magazine, which I shall try out when I can find it.
Later in the day, have found a small picture, in Stitch issue 33, Feb/March 2005. There are 2 articles in the mag., one a project by Surjeet Husain, and one about her and her work. On the link page the last small pic of all shows this stitch. Best I can do.
I like the deep ridges on the shells in the middle picture.
And there are a few tiny shells trapped in the holes in the ginger-colured stone. Nothing alive in them!
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Confession - the 'Lowry' in the previous post was taken on a foggy Boxing Day morning 3 days later! Sorry.
But back to stitching, and the red and green sampler quilt I mentioned in an earlier post - it was the daughter who got it off me we were spending Christmas with, so there was a chance to take a digital photo , plus Clyde the cat for colour contrast! The quilt fits a king-size bed. It has 25 x 14" blocks and a border.
I followed Lynne Edwards' measurements and basic instructions from her 2 books on sampler quilts, used blocks from them and some magazines, and some I invented.
I used the 'quilt-as-you-go' method, making up each block sandwich and quilting it, by hand, or by machine, then joining them.
We stopped overnight with one of our daughters then continued next day, in fog and frost again!
but back in the sun where the road climbs higher.
An interesting trip!