Friday, March 28, 2008

Canvaswork . . .

I finished the canvaswork piece we started at West Country Embroiderers this month. Except that it needs some more beads and sequins. And I have to decide what to do with it! As usual. I really enjoyed doing it, and want to do some more.
This is my practice piece. Having only tried canvaswork once before, a small and unsuccesful attempt, I thought I'd try a few threads and see what worked best. I had bought single canvas with a larger mesh (eyesight) and wanted to see before the workshop day which ones would cover it enough. We did paint the canvas first, so bits showing were not a problem. I guess with white canvas you would want to cover it all up? I thought it needed the thicker threads - stranded cotton, soft cotton, some wools, thicker perlé, those knitted ribbon things or else finer ones used double. Our tutor used some torn chiffon strips but I didn't get round to trying that.

4 comments:

Things Hand Made said...

Thats a really lovely piece of work. Evocotive of India to me or some warm relaxed place.

Judy Martin said...

Hi Barbara

Thanks for the nomination for one hundred quilts. I just found it today. My main blog is Judy's Journal, and I have also just today finished a guest spot for an environmental blog about the great lakes in Canada.
I agree that the blogsphere is very inspiring. I'll have to think about what ten blogs inspire me.

Angela said...

Your canvaswork pieces are gorgeous. I'm pretty new to embroidery and there are so many techniques I want to try and thanks to blogland I'm finding more each day, now all I need is 36 hours in the day!

Mihaela said...

Great!!!