Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sumptuous Surfaces, first stitching

I couldn't decide which pic to post so have put both on. This is the first stage in the stitching, outlining the main motif (the outer lines of the leaf) and adding some low relief (the veins within the leaflets). I then forgot to take a photo and began adding the next stage - building up some heavy texture in the spaces left, so ignore those bits for now! It is 6"x4", postcard size, on some linen I happened to have, using a linen thread dyed with coffee, a perlé and a flower thread. Stitches are barred chain for the main outline, stem for the centre veins and long straight stitches for the secondary veins.
A question I have is - the long straight stitches look the way I want, but, if this card were to be sent in the post, might they need couching down, as they might snag something in the mailing process? (Actually, I know that it is the thing to post fabric cards with no envelopes, but I don't think I ever would.)

4 comments:

JoWynn Johns said...

Lovely, so far.

Julie said...

IMHO this looks as tho it is coming along well, Barbara. I don't know much (anything) about the different types of thread but I assume they give you varying textures and tones. I like the way you are working to build this up across the whole piece rather than finish one area at a time. I have only ever posted a painted postcard and that arrived unscathed but I would imagine a textile could snag.

Candi said...

Very very nice!!! It looks great!!!
HUGZ:)
Candi

Carol said...

I use the clear envelopes used for cards, you know if you make cards to sell. I put the adress on the inside and then the stamp on the outside of the clear envelop. I don't know where you live but the Range sell them.